Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Slice of Life #5




"Life is a box of chocolates...you never know what you'll get!" This line from the movie Forrest Gump is accurate and priceless. These past few weeks were such beautiful ones with my family. Each day is something new.

We are creating a new "tradition" in our family: My sons attend Heroclix tournaments on Sundays. Heroclix is a game involving superheroes and villians. Only the strong survive. I began playing a couple of summers ago. It took me a year or so to really learn how to play this once-easy-now-more-complex game. My kids have been pestering me to join them at the tournaments. I have resisted, since the first tournament I attended was chaotic. They have assured me they are no longer that way. So about a month ago, I attended a tournament. My kids really gave me no choice. I grumbled in the beginning, because I'm not a very good player. But what I found out from the experience was that all the people at the tournaments help each other. It's not cut-throat like I thought it would be. I truly enjoyed it.

What truly made me want to continue going to the tournaments was a comment from a fellow teacher who is a superhero fanatic. He said, "Your kids are so lucky that you play those games with them. Most moms wouldn't do that." Now I won't lie to you. It isn't always easy sitting down to play this game...the rules are many, and the powers confusing...but sharing that precious time with my kids is what is so important. As I'm finding out, the years slip by fast, and I don't want to miss a minute of it!

5 comments:

  1. You are great. I thought I was doing good when I read the sports page and went to ice hockey tournaments and practices. I am sure this activity has increased your knowledge of your sons and their knowledge of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! what a way to make some cool memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to connect with your kids. Let's hear it for new traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a wonderful mom. What lucky kids. I'm so curious about this game and how you play. I hope you'll write more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have tried to get some members of my family interested in this, and they throw up their hands because it is complicated. The best way to learn is go to your local comic store and join tournaments. Comic fanatics are always trying to get you interested, and will be a great source of help. I see boys and girls there, but honestly, mostly boys (and men). I hope you all get a chance to see this game in action!

    ReplyDelete