Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Slice of Life #1

This is my first Slice of Life post ever! So what to write? Well, I am a writer, teacher of students who are deaf or hard of hearing, wife, mother, an avid crocheter, jewelry maker, yogini, and nature fanatic. My first post I thought should be about creativity and endurance. I decided to make a scarf for my husband designed after Tom Baker's Scarf which was 14 feet long! Whovians will know this scarf, but if you are unfamiliar with the term Whovian, it means Dr. Who fanatics. For sure this will take creativity and endurance. This will be his Christmas present; therefore, I should definitely have the scarf finished by then!

So how can this endurance and creativity be used in other areas of my life? First and foremost it has to be as a mother. Any parent will tell you that parenting is a full-time job, and energy is needed in abundance, even on days when getting out of bed is a chore. But doesn't endurance factor in our creative life as well?

I find that when I embark on a new endeavor, I surround myself with information. My crocheting, for example, is an area that I immerse myself completely in until I finish a project. It helps me think. I create in my mind, but I also get to know myself better, which I'm sure increases my endurance, acceptance, and creativity.

My newest blog, Make it Happen Write Away, is a blog that really challenges me to be creative and authentic at the same time, it also makes me feel vulnerable. As a teacher of the deaf, literacy is at the forefront of what I teach. Putting my style of teaching out there, while exciting, does make me feel a bit vulnerable. It will take endurance to push through the times when the creativity isn't flowing. But with Slice of Life in my Tuesday's corner, maybe this will be the inspiration I need to keep making it happen 'write' away.

Slice of Life #2

5 comments:

  1. Good luck! That is a great theme .. I like how you weave endurance into so many aspects of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all Amy welcome! You will love being a part of this community. This is my fourth year and I love it! Never worry about not having something to write about..just read a slice or two and you will be inspired! Funny thing some of my best slices have been about how I have nothing to write about! I look forward to getting to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the SOL community!! Learning to crochet is on my bucket list of things to do. How exciting! I hope we get to see some things you've made. I love the theme of endurance. You can do it!! Can't wait to see where all of your endurance and creativity take you on this bloggin adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the title of your blog! Welcome! I joined this community for the March Slice of Life challenge and blogged for 31 days. It has changed me! Looking forward to reading more of your slices on Tuesday and "slicing" together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, All of you, for the encouraging words! I am branching out, and I'm so pleased to have been introduced to SOL! See you next Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete